Note: forwarded message attached.
Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.
|Date:||Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:42:50 -0700 (PDT)|
|From:||"Venkat Kumaraswamy" <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Subject:||Did Nhava Sheva, Mumbai Custom House and CFS Mulund Customs officials help fraudsters ? WHAT action have you taken on these Customs Officials ? Who are those officials ?? Rs 300 crore EXCISE REBATE SCAM UNEARTHED IN SURAT BUT CBEC TOPBRASS YET TO ACT AGAINST CONNIVING OFFICIALS!|
|To:||email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
|CC:||firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
Smt. Neerja Shah
Addl DG (VIg.)
Directorate General of Vigilance,
Customs and Central Excise
West Zonal Unit, 4th Floor,
Transport House, Poona Street, Masjid (East)
Mumbai – 40009
Phone No. (022) 22619506
Fax (022) 23703133
Sub: Did Nhava Sheva, Mumbai Custom House and CFS Mulund Customs officials help fraudsters ? WHAT action have you taken on these Customs Officials ? Who are those officials ??
Rs 300 crore EXCISE REBATE SCAM UNEARTHED IN SURAT BUT CBEC TOPBRASS YET TO ACT AGAINST CONNIVING OFFICIALS!
By TIOL News Service
SURAT, NOV 18 : EVERY revenue scam exposes the inadequacy in the existing monitoring mechanism. And this is what can be abundantly seen in the recently-detected excise rebate scam of more than Rs 300 crore! What makes it more glaring and smells of deep-rooted connivance of not only junior but even some of senior revenue officials is its genesis in the year 2002-03 and the improvised modus operani.
Taking undue advantage of non-computerised CFS Mulund (TIOL had earlier predicted its scam potential in a series of articles), a large number of exporters forged the genuine shipping bills by simply putting their names and allowing other details to remain the same and went on availing excise rebate for exports of man made fabrics.
Though about 10 of such exporters have been arrested by the Preventive so far but the fact remains that these exporters had obtained IEC from jurisdictional DGFT office by furnishing fake addresses and continued to claim rebate by churing out bogus documents having signature of customs officers.
It is learnt that with the help of Nhava Sheva, Mumbai Custom House and CFS Mulund Customs officials these fraudsters continued to outshine notorious Taufiq of EoU scam. And, with the help of shroffs they continued to encash their cheques at discounted rates. Sources
In Surat I Commissionerate alone, the total such rebate sanctioned is in the range of Rs 96 crore last year and more than Rs 86 crore this year so far. The fraud came to be detected when it was seen that the revenue realised from man made fabrics was much lower than the rebate sanctioned. This indeed alarmed several senior revenue officials and then a probe began.
Though the actual dimension of the fraud is yet to quantified by a rough estimate pegs it at more than Rs 300 crore, including Surat II and other neighbouring commissionerates. And what indicates excise officials' connivance is the blatantly fake documents and shipping bills which also indicate the period of exports after the rebate was claimed but none in the department looked into it.
It is learnt that the Directorate of Vigilance is seized of the matter and the Board may take some harsh decisions soon. Though the scam was detected five months and the on-going investigation has unearthed shocking dimension of the scam what is CBEC topbrass waiting for before ordering suspension of some of the obvious conniving ones is not known. But the Finance Minister, who believes that the revenue saved from scam is revenue earned, may take a decision soon.
Have read this article ? Do you know anything about this case which is reported here above in the article ? Does it come under your jurisdiction and authority ? What have you done on taking Actions on the officials ?
Please provide answers to all the above questions and also to the following questions. We are REQUESTING these information as per Right to Information Act 2005. We want all answers by way of email to us. Email is an efficient way of communicating and getting informations fast. We hope you will provide all the information.
1. Who are in charge of Nhava Sheva, Mumbai Custom House and CFS Mulund Customs ? Please provide the names and address and email ID's and phone numbers.
2. Did you suspend these officers from Nhava Sheva, Mumbai Custom House and CFS Mulund Customs ? Please provide the information.
3. If you did not suspend these officers from Nhava Sheva, Mumbai Custom House and CFS Mulund Customs, What are the reasons for not suspending ?
4. Any actions so far at all on these officers from Nhava Sheva, Mumbai Custom House and CFS Mulund Customs ? Please specify and provide the information.
5. Who is the Investigating officer in this case? Have you taken any actions on this Investigating officer ? Please specify and provide the information by email.
6. Please provide all information by email to save time and for qucik resolutions and for quick actions.
We request News Paper persons to give wide publicity on these matters of saving money for the NATION. We hope this happens.
We hope CVC, CBI and others take notice of all of these things and takes ACTION on every one involved.
If we need any more information from you we will write to you.
V. M. Kumaraswamy, MBA
This is Mr. V. M. Kumaraswamy, MBA. in business since 1971. Founder and Moderator of India's largest e-governance Yahoogroup under the title eGovINDIA. You can reach this group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eGovINDIA
eGovINDIA, INDIA WBA, EKAVI and INDIA RTI has taken up several matters and issues in their forum to discuss and to bring into national level and attention of CVC, CAG, CBI, CBEC, Supreme Court, High Courts, State Officials and Highest officials in INDIA. All News Papers will be included for wider circulation.
INDIA WBA has taken up the issues of WHISTLEBLOWERS in INDIA.
India WhistleBlower Act:The Action Group;http://groups.yahoo.com/group/INDIA_WBA
INDIA RTI has taken up issues related Right to Information for all in INDIA.
Right to Information in INDIA discussion group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/INDIARTI
mail2vigilance <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
F.No.: II/39(Vig)RTI-02/2006-07 Mumabi, the 24th April, 2006.
Shri V.M. Kumaraswamy
Please refer to your e-mail dated 16.04.2006, in response to this office letter /e-mail dated 13.04.2006, on the above subject.
2. It appears that the reply of this office vide letter /e-mail dated 13.04.2006 has not been understood by you. It is therefore requested that you may please visit this office on any working day, convenient to you, for further clarifications.
3. Your e-mail revels a high regard for transparency. It is requested that transparency on the following may please be shown:
(i) Do you have the copy of the complaint purportedly sent by Shri Ravinder Kumar, referred to in your e-mail. If so, please inform as to from whom did you get this copy ?
(ii) If you do not have the copy, please inform as to from where and from whom did you get the contents which have been produced in your e-mail?
4. It is further observed that your e-mail dated 16.04.2004 mentions about certain details which are not mentioned in the contents of the complaint purportedly sent by Shri Ravinder Kumar. In view of the same, it is requested that transparency on the following may please be shown:
(i) What makes you say hat Shri V.B. Singh was allowed to join Vigilance due to the case of Taufik Haji Gaffar and he was entrusted to investigate one of the most sensitive case i.e. Surat Rebate case, by me ?
(ii) What do you understand by "CIU'? What makes you think that it is Deputy Commissioner of CIU who should have invoked COFEPOSA?
(iii) How and from whom did you get to know that the then Deputy Commissioner of CIU is working in this office or otherwise?
(iv) Please send the copy of the article which says that Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) V.H. Bathija on 07.03.2001 arrested TAUFIK. How and from whom did you get to know that Mr. V.H. Bathija is working in this office or otherwise?
5. Similarly, in your e-mail dated 19.04.2006, you have mentioned about one Alok Garg who has submitted forged/false/invalid certificate of ex-serviceman to claim age relaxation to join service. However, nothing has been mentioned about as to who Alok Garg is, in which department Alok Garg is working. Please inform as to how and from whom did you get to know that this office is investigating or not investigating Alok Garg or otherwise?
6. It is further requested that documentary or other evidences that may be available with you to establish that the allegations against Shri V.B. Singh, made in the complaint purportedly sent by Shri Ravinder Kumar, are false, may also please be sent to this office.
Additional Director Genera