Note: forwarded message attached.
How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.
||Mon, 1 May 2006 16:23:34 -0700 (PDT)
||"Venkat Kumaraswamy" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
||AFTER TAUFIQ ALL 'WICKETS' FALL LIKE TAIL-ENDERS IN INDIAN CRICKET! //
||email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
||email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
May 2nd 2006
Smt. Neerja Shah
Addl DG (VIg.)
Directorate General of Vigilance,
Customs and Central Excise
West Zonal Unit, 4th Floor,
Transport House, Poona Street, Masjid (East)
Mumbai – 40009
Phone No. (022) 22619506
Fax (022) 23703133
Sub: AFTER TAUFIQ ALL 'WICKETS' FALL LIKE TAIL-ENDERS IN INDIAN CRICKET! // Request for information as per RTI Act 2005. All of these are simple questions. You should have the answers in a short period of time.
WICKETS now means officers in your department !!
Who is going to FALL now ?
Are you protecting any of them !!
We are watching for your actions !!!!!
This is another story dated 26.07.2003 I am finding more and more stories on Mumbai Customs office !!! I hope you can provide all the answers to my questions as per RTI Act 2005.
AFTER TAUFIQ ALL 'WICKETS' FALL LIKE TAIL-ENDERS IN INDIAN CRICKET!
MUMBAI, 26 JULY : THE first wicket to fall in the EoU fraudster Taufiq Haji Gaffar case was that of his own brother who was detained under Cofeposa last year. Given that the Surat Police could not do proper 'bowling' for the past one year the second wicket took pretty long time when Taufiq himself was picked up under Cofeposa recently.
With Taufiq being considered as Sachin Tendulkar of the large team of racketeers coming from various walks of life, other wickets have fallen like the middle-level and tail-enders of the Indian Cricket team! And it happened because this time the 'bowler' happened to be the Mumbai CBI rather than the Surat Police!
Only two days back the ace agency launched a mega hunt for all those customs officials who were accused of being instrumental in abetting this fraud! Thanks to the former constitution of the Board this case was referred to the CBI to unearth the exact dimension of the case. A search operation was launched at the office and residential premises of four customs officials _ one of them is of JC-rank, presently posted at Pune; the second one is an AC at Sahar Air Cargo and the other two are Appraisers. A few others who helped Taufiq were also raided.
All the four officials have been accused of being hand-in-glove with Taufiq. Since during their tenure in Mumbai Customs several original documents were misplaced and forged procurement certificates were accepted which helped Taufiq of clearing goods duty-free and then selling them off in the open market at a premium.
Several of the importing firms were found to be non-existent but they did large-scale duty-free imports thanks to active support of some officials who willingly closed their eyes to all such wrong-doings.
No doubt, the CBI has not found much in these operations as it was expected because the case itself has become several years old but it has laid its hands on certain documents which may help it in the on-going investigation. But what is indeed going to be a big challenge for the CBI is the fact that it must identify all the patrons of Taufiq who must also be patrons of several other fraudsters going scot-free! Given that Taufiq was just an ordinary importer and wanted to become rich overnight but what about all those officials who despite being in the chair of the custodian of exchequer's interests have developed the habit of conniving with fraudsters? They are much dangerous enemy of the economy than fraudsters like Taufiq who have very short life-span to cause long-term damage to the system! But, will the CBI be able to do it?
PLEASE provide answer to the following questions. Send it by email please. Email is efficient way sending information and communicating.
1. Is the story is correct ?
2. If yes, who were the officers raided by CBI? Can you list them please. What are they doing now ? Are they still working ? How many got suspended from service ? How many are facing jail time ? Are you protecting any one from that list ?
3. Has Directorate General of Vigilance taken any action against these officers? If yes, WHEN was it taken ? If no, What is the reason for not acting on this ?
4. Have any of those offisers been posted in sensitive postings in your department after the raid of CBI and put them under cloud ?
5. If yes, why they have been posted in sensitive posting and if not, give the details of their posting since the CBI raid. Please specify for all the officers.
If we need any more information from you we will write to you.
V. M. Kumaraswamy, MBA
This is Mr. V. M. Kumaraswamy, MBA. in business since 1971. Founder and Moderator of India's largest e-governance Yahoogroup under the title eGovINDIA. You can reach this group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eGovINDIA
eGovINDIA, INDIA WBA, EKAVI and INDIA RTI has taken up several matters and issues in their forum to discuss and to bring into national level and attention of CVC, CAG, CBI, CBEC, Supreme Court, High Courts, State Officials and Highest officials in INDIA. All News Papers will be included for wider circulation.
INDIA WBA has taken up the issues of WHISTLEBLOWERS in INDIA.
India WhistleBlower Act:The Action Group;http://groups.yahoo.com/group/INDIA_WBA
INDIA RTI has taken up issues related Right to Information for all in INDIA.
Right to Information in INDIA discussion group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/INDIARTI
mail2vigilance <email@example.com> wrote:
F.No.: II/39(Vig)RTI-02/2006-07 Mumabi, the 24th April, 2006.
Shri V.M. Kumaraswamy
Please refer to your e-mail dated 16.04.2006, in response to this office letter /e-mail dated 13.04.2006, on the above subject.
2. It appears that the reply of this office vide letter /e-mail dated 13.04.2006 has not been understood by you. It is therefore requested that you may please visit this office on any working day, convenient to you, for further clarifications.
3. Your e-mail revels a high regard for transparency. It is requested that transparency on the following may please be shown:
(i) Do you have the copy of the complaint purportedly sent by Shri Ravinder Kumar, referred to in your e-mail. If so, please inform as to from whom did you get this copy ?
(ii) If you do not have the copy, please inform as to from where and from whom did you get the contents which have been produced in your e-mail?
4. It is further observed that your e-mail dated 16.04.2004 mentions about certain details which are not mentioned in the contents of the complaint purportedly sent by Shri Ravinder Kumar. In view of the same, it is requested that transparency on the following may please be shown:
(i) What makes you say hat Shri V.B. Singh was allowed to join Vigilance due to the case of Taufik Haji Gaffar and he was entrusted to investigate one of the most sensitive case i.e. Surat Rebate case, by me ?
(ii) What do you understand by "CIU'? What makes you think that it is Deputy Commissioner of CIU who should have invoked COFEPOSA?
(iii) How and from whom did you get to know that the then Deputy Commissioner of CIU is working in this office or otherwise?
(iv) Please send the copy of the article which says that Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) V.H. Bathija on 07.03.2001 arrested TAUFIK. How and from whom did you get to know that Mr. V.H. Bathija is working in this office or otherwise?
5. Similarly, in your e-mail dated 19.04.2006, you have mentioned about one Alok Garg who has submitted forged/false/invalid certificate of ex-serviceman to claim age relaxation to join service. However, nothing has been mentioned about as to who Alok Garg is, in which department Alok Garg is working. Please inform as to how and from whom did you get to know that this office is investigating or not investigating Alok Garg or otherwise?
6. It is further requested that documentary or other evidences that may be available with you to establish that the allegations against Shri V.B. Singh, made in the complaint purportedly sent by Shri Ravinder Kumar, are false, may also please be sent to this office.
Additional Director General